I am in a pickle!
I fell in love with a dress upon first sight… There was just one problem: I didn’t really like the dress.
Let me explain.
I love this dress, but I don’t really love this dress. It’s got some aspects that I am completely head over heels for and some that I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing on my physical body, celestial body, or anything in between. So, I have to break it down into Pros & Cons. Once I’ve got my favorite parts figured out, it’ll make it 500 times easier to search for something similar.
- The pink, faux leather top is my favorite, favorite, favorite thing I’ve seen this week, hands down. Maybe this month. I love it.
- The empire waist is really flattering on me, despite everyone’s desire to make “empire waist” and “babydoll” synonymous. I’m high-waisted and this sh*t looks good on me.
- Cap sleeves. My mom has told me since my youth that they are extremely flattering and she’s right!
- The hemline is perfectly modest in contrast with the “Hi, I’m [faux] Leather” audacity of the top.
- Not okay with the print at all. I’m not into people making a print and slapping some ancient culture’s name on it and then mass marketing it. Sorry, doesn’t do it for me at all. This, alone, would prevent me from buying this dress even if I loved everything else!
- The pleats look a little… cheap. Don’t get me wrong, I love cheap-inexpensive, but I don’t love cheap-low-quality or cheap-looks-cheap.
So there we have it. I’m looking for something with an empire waist that includes a faux leather top and midi-length skirt, cap sleeves preferable but not a dealbreaker. A profuse lack of cultural appropriation would be A-OK, as well.
What do you think of this dress?