When the 1990s come back into style, full-swing… is that going to include the return of those mini-backpacks? Remember those? The straps were like 3x longer than they really needed to be, so the backpack (which is about half the size of my purse) kind of bounced off of your butt and lower back as you walked. I’m pretty sure that’s why everyone wanted one. Draw attention to the butt as much as possible.
I never liked those, personally, but I never left the house without my basic, black canvas Jansport backpack ($58). To me, those are the truly the perfect backpack for people who are going back to school, or back to… anywhere, pretty much. They were basic, but rugged and strong, so all of your books wouldn’t rip the seams and explode everywhere. (This really happens, trust me.) They weren’t the cutest backpacks, but they held all my stuff and went with everything thanks to their minimalist design.
The love of a good backpack never dies, and I’m noticing that my friends are starting to rekindle their relationships with backpacks lately, too. For work, for school, for the gym – even for girls’ night out! Think of how many of your friends’ jackets and scarves you could fit in a backpack…
But a Jansport isn’t going to cut it at da club. So brands and designers from fancy to frugal are releasing some more sophisticated, sassy backpacks for back to school or otherwise. They are made from faux leather, faux suede, canvas, and cotton, so there’s a style for everyone.
Here are 9 of my favorite budget-friendly backpacks from around the web!
- Top row: Neiman Marcus Elizabeth Contrast Trim Nylon Backpack,
$95$28.50; Minimal Effort Vegan Leather Backpack, $58; NastyGal This Means Star Backpack, $58$47.50
- Middle row: Missguided Clean Line Rucksack, $40; Boohoo Charlotte Zip Detail Backpack, $26; Circus by Sam Edelman Hudson Pizza Backpack, $85
- Bottom row: Boohoo Maisie Metal Detail Backpack, $30; Boohoo Darcy Pocket Front Metal Detail Backpack, $35; Stela 9 Pana Backpack,
…Okay, you caught me. That pizza backpack is barely in the “budget-friendly backpack” zone. Admittedly, I included it for selfish reasons, namely my borderline-perverse relationship with pizza. These pizzas are heart-shaped, though! I mean, come on!
The rest seem to share a lot of design elements – most noticeably, the “rucksack” style. A flap over the top conceals a drawstring closure, similar to a bucket-style bag. This rucksack style has far more storage, however, thanks to the extra pockets and pouches.
Some of these backpacks have taken a more modern spin on an old design by cleaning up the lines and going super-minimalistic. The zippers around the top open up to reveal a structured and spacious interior. Perfect for those who might have limited classes in one day, or a locker to change out books when necessary.
- NastyGal is taking an extra 25% off of all backpack and non-backpack markdowns.
- Boohoo will give you 40% off your first order with their new app for iOS and Android!
- At Missguided, use the code LABORDAY to take 30% off your backpack order!
- Last Call Neiman Marcus is took 35%-75% off of everything on their site – including backpacks!
Do you have a favorite backpack memory? What was your go-to style?